Category Archives: Uncategorized

  • Trucks with timber blocked in the Forest

    On the 16th of August another blockade of trucks carrying out logs from the Forest took place on one of the forest roads. Two trucks were transporting logs from Bialowieza Forest District – European Commission and the European Court of Justice banned logging and removing timber from this forest district. The timber was extracted in […]...

  • (Inter)national march for the Bialowieza Forest

    On Sunday, August 13., a big march for the Bialowieza Forest took place near Pogorzelce (vicinity of Bialowieza). Despite the rainy weather, the event gathered together about 800 people who met to demonstrate their disagreement with the World Heritage being cut down to the ground and changed into planks and plywood. Local inhabitants also wanted [&...

  • List of companies buying timber from the Forest

    A list of companies buying timber from the Bialowieza Forest was published by OKO.press, an independent information website. Jurnalists of OKO.press had already addressed the State Forests before, asking for the list. However, their request had been turned down on the excuse of this information being confidential. The only information they obtained...

  • Solidarity action in Berlin

    On the 11th of August a solidarity action with the Bialowieza Forest was organised in Berlin by Robin Wood, a German ecological and social organization. Participants protested against illegal logging and heartbreaking destruction of the last primeval lowland forest in Europe that is being held against all regulations and voices of scientists from a...

  • Come to the Forest on 13th of August! Help us defend World Heritage!

    As logging has been carried out without any break, despite all decisions and against European law, we need to take action! We have to show our support for protection of the last primeval lowland forest on European Continent. We have to spread our message and spread it wide and loud. That is why, if you […]...

  • Commentary on the response of the Ministry of Environment to the European Court of Justice

    On the 4th of August, which was the deadline given by the European Court of Justice, the Ministry of Environment presented their standpoint about the Białowieża Forest. Despite the Court’s decision that logging should be stopped immediately, the Ministry says they will continue their works in the Forest. They keep repeating that they are pr...

  • Forest road blocked for trucks with spruces

    Today in the morning a road was blocked for trucks that carry out spruces from the forest. The trees on the trucks are about 120 and 130 years old. Protesters want to bring attention to illegal logging taking place in the Forest despite UNESCO decisions, Natura 2000 directives and the European Court of Justice ban. […]...

  • Once again harvesters blocked for a whole day

    Yesterday in the morning activists managed to block harvesters logging in the Bialowieza Forest District, where timber extraction limit has already been exceeded, and where any work has been banned by the European Court of Justice. Trees over 100 years old were being cut down. The State Forests explain that all the works are justified […]...

  • Szyszko won’t give up logging. 11th blockade in the Forest.

    Yesterday at a press conferene minister Jan Szyszko said that Poland would answer to European Commission’s allegations. However, what has been going on in the Forest is just and only active protection of forest habitats protected by Natura 2000. ‘We are truly grateful for the devotion of the EC and European Court of Justice to […...

  • Journalist attacked by loggers in the Forest

    On Saturday, July 29, a television crew from a major Polish TV channel was attacked by the loggers in the Białowieza Forest. The cameraman suffered some injuries, his camera was smashed and memory cards seized. The two loggers also tried to run over the journalist. It was only the previous day, Friday July 28, that […]...